What’s cooking in 2017 kitchen design
They say everything old is new again, but when it comes to new trends in kitchen design, tradition may prove to be a thing of the past.
The National Kitchen & Bath Association (NKBA) surveys its members annually and reports on the top trends it expects to see in the coming year. According to the group’s report, contemporary-styled kitchen designs have overtaken traditional for the first time.
And while the ever popular all-white kitchen isn’t going anywhere, don’t be surprised to see a larger variety of color schemes making inroads. Here’s more on the design trends destined to make an appearance in kitchens this year.
- White and gray painted cabinets remain popular, with gray still leading the way when it comes to introducing color. However, things are getting interesting with more blues and high-gloss finishes.
- Wood-painted cabinets remain more popular than all other materials, but metal cabinets are finding a niche.
- As mentioned, all-white continues to dominate kitchen design, but the introduction of more tones in countertops and flooring are warming things up. Darker wood floors paired with white cabinets and subway tile can give your new kitchen a clean yet cozy feel. Additionally, mixed color palette countertops add color, as can a customized backsplash.
- Speaking of countertops, quartz continues to show growth as the most popular material, with granite just behind but trending down.
- Age-in-place and universal design remains popular so that the kitchen is functional for people of all ages and abilities.
- One final area that shouldn’t be ignored in today’s kitchen design is technology. More and more designers are incorporating wiring and power strips or connections hidden beneath cabinets instead of the more visible backsplash outlets of the past. Internet-connected appliances and docking stations also are becoming more common.
At Tracy Tesmer Design/Remodeling, our experts work with you each step of the way, from designing your dream kitchen and choosing materials to managing the entire build process. Give us a call or use our contact form for more information on how we can work together on your next renovation project!